Sensitive skin is a term that is much banded around. Reactions such as redness, itchiness, breakouts, tightness and irritation are all symptoms of what we think of as sensitive skin.
In reality our skin is just being reactive. The daily bombardment of the weather and the barrage of highly fragrant beauty products that people apply, without even a glimpse of the hundreds of ingredients crammed into the tiny bottles and tubes, of course your skin is likely to complain.
I personally don’t have so much of a problem with my face but more with my hands. When I use a highly fragranced product my hands erupt with little blisters and can become very sore and make life rather difficult.
In the past I have tried to keep them moisturised when this happens but various topical creams have just made matters worse. Now I stay away from unsuitable products and if I see the early signs of a breakout then I use gloves to wash my hair and avoid all contact with anything remotely whiffy.
Ten tips to help with reactive skin.
- Don’t use extreme temperature of water, keep it tepid.
- Don’t use harsh rough cleansers, your face doesn’t need a scouring pad.
- Use lotions with the least number of ingredients in.
- Be aware that not all products that are labelled ‘Sensitive’ really are, don’t fall for the marketing hype.
- Keep fragranced products to a bare minimum if at all. Baby products contain strong perfumes, so if you can smell something then it’s probably got added parfum. Just because it says ‘natural’ doesn’t mean it won’t irritate you.
- Simplify your beauty routine and don’t overload your skin with too many products.
- If you try a new product then just try one at a time. A whole new routine and you won’t know which one is causing the issue.
- If you get a reaction then STOP just clean your face with water until your skin has calmed down.
- It goes without saying, keep your skin out of the sun…
- … and drink plenty of water.
Confession time … I am a beauty junkie with the best of them. The beautiful packaging that seduces us all, advertised by models with skin that we all aspire to. As each beauty house brings out the new seasonal colour palettes I rush to buy more.
Having said that, I have learnt over the years to buy carefully. I always try before I buy and get a sample to see if I get any reaction. Some of the companies are way too highly perfumed for me to even consider, some I can use occasionally and some have become daily staples.
Companies have spent time and money in research and there are many more products and brands on the market than ten years ago, though most of them are pretty uninspiring and take the fun out of anyone’s regime!
LA SOLUTION 10 DE CHANEL
Chanel have a recently come up with something that I am really rather impressed with. I have been trialling it for the last couple of weeks and love it. The creaminess, texture and of course, the packaging are a pleasing discovery.
The team at the Chanel laboratories partnered with Dr Amy Wechsler and tried 117 different formulations until they found the perfect combination of 10 ingredients.
A gentle, soothing moisturizer formulated for sensitive skin and for all skin types irritated by aggressors, including pollution, climatic conditions, stress or non-invasive microdermabrasion. The formula features just 10 carefully selected ingredients, each chosen for it’s optimal skin tolerance and efficacy.
THE KEY INGREDIENTS
At the heart of the formula, the power of the rare and precious Silver Needle Tea. From its delicate, hand-picked leaves, Chanel has extracted a concentrate with unprecedented soothing and anti-oxidant properties to help regulate skin’s response to irritants and protect against free radicals. Skin is re-balanced, nurtured back to a more resilient, less reactive state.
Alcohol-free, fragrance-free, oil-free, non-comedogenic, anti-pollution, dermatologist-tested.
Silver needle tea offers powerful anti-oxidant properties to help regulate skin’s response to irritants and protect against free radicals.
SILVER NEEDLE TEA EXTRACT
SHEA BUTTER EXTRACT
Pop in and have a chat with Debbie Hughes, the Chanel Consultant at Feel Unique in King Street.
Or order online from Feel Unique 30ml bottle is £50.75
If you have a favourite product for reactive or sensitive skin, please let us know by leaving a comment. Word of mouth is the best way to find the solution.
(Just so you know, this is not an advertisement, I did not get any free gifts and paid the full retail price for the product.)